Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Wilmington


We spent two really enjoyable nights at Wilmington, but I couldn't stomach another night in the company of the "Nissan Club" (and one woman in particular), so we had a quiet night by ourselves last night. We watched Charlie and Boots-a nice easy to watch little movie thanks Mick!

We did a great walk in the morning down to Alligator George. I reckon it was around 300 steps to get to the bottom, then we walked into The Terraces and out, along to The Narrows and then UP to Blue Gum Flat.




I thought we'd reached the end of the walk, but we had another (almost) vertical kilometre to get back to the car park. Every corner we came to revealed an even steeper stretch of road. I was exhausted by the time we made it to the car, but figured if I couldn't do that, I better forget the base walk at Ayers Rock later this week.

Last night I defrosted a duck stock I'd made plus a salmon portion and turned them into a Thai style soup with noodles and veg. OMG it was so good.

Today we packed up and drove almost 600ks to Coober Pedy where we'll stay 2 nights as we need to drive out to William Creek in the morning for a flight over Lake Eyre. The country today looks like it has had plenty of rain but it would give the Nullarbor a run for its money with the lack of trees in most places from Port Augusta to here. And the only stock I saw was about 8 big dead herefords and around the same number of sheep (all hit by trucks I'd say).

We are staying two nights in Riba's Underground Camping and Caravan Park-only underground for the campers though!

No comments:

Post a Comment