Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Olgas and Uluru




Saturday 23rd of April we took a drive out to the Olgas and then a 1 hour 2k walk in and out of Walpa Gorge. The Olgas are amazing close up and equally impressive as Uluru (but different). It was a pretty walk and not too long considering what we had planned for this morning! After the walk and some lunch at home, we went back out to the cultural centre at Uluru and spent a couple of hours there. A walk round the tiny shopping centre and a dinner of roast veal and veg finished off the day nicely.



Uluru Base Walk
This morning we got up early (well, early for us) and got ourselves organised for the walk around the base of Uluru. It's 10.6ks and adding in a walk in and out of the waterhole, we reckon we did 11 ks. It was cool (around 12c) when we started our walk but soon warmed up.



I'm glad we went the way we did as we came back the last couple of ks to the car in the shade. Its a fantastic walk with so many colours and textures of the rock. A lot of the walk is sacred ground, but we still got lots of photos in the places we were allowed take them. I was suprised how few people do the walk and how many people still do the climb although the traditional owners ask that they don't! The walk took 3 1/2 hours including stops to chat to people, look at rock art and go into the waterhole.



I was so proud of myself doing it as I know 12 months ago I wouldn't have been able with my weight and blood pressure as they were and my legs would have been like big puffy sausages if I did happen to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment